Teen pregnancy and sex education

Print Teen Sex and Sex Ed About 20 percent of the decline in teen pregnancy rates since is thought to be related to a decrease in sexual activity among adolescents. The other 80 percent of the decline in teen pregnancies is thought to be associated with more effective birth control practice. In particular, the number of teens who regularly use condoms has increased significantly over the past 10 years. Sex and contraceptive education may be the most effective way to reduce teen pregnancy.

Teen pregnancy and sex education

This type of instruction is a central source of information for adolescents. The first dedicated federal funding stream for evaluation of adolescent sexual health programs was established in and has contributed to improvement in the quality and quantity of evaluation research.

Teen pregnancy and sex education

Many of these programs have resulted in delayed sexual debut, reduced frequency of sex and number of sexual partners, increased condom or contraceptive use, or reduced sexual risk-taking. Here we consider the role of parents, health care providers and digital media as potential sources of sexual health information for adolescents.

When these conversations do occur, they are usually brief; in one study, conversations with patients aged 12—17 lasted an average of 36 seconds.

Teen Sex and Sex Ed

Digital media offer opportunities for youth to confidentially search for information on sensitive topics, and thus are a likely source of sexual health information for young people. Nine of these states require inclusive discussion of sexual orientation, while the remaining three require that classes provide only negative information about sexual orientation.

Kosciw JG et al. Breuner CC et al. American Public Health Association, Sexuality education as part of a comprehensive health education program in K to 12 schools, Policy Statement, https: National Academies Press, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, Abstinence-only-until-marriage policies and programs: Goesling B et al.

Chin HB et al. A Global Review, Paris: Office of Adolescent Health, U. Santelli JS et al. Santelli JS, Medical accuracy in sexuality education: Denford S et al. Demissie Z et al. Eisenberg ME et al. Are they medically accurate?

How much do Democrats and Republicans agree? American Academy of Pediatrics, Fuentes L et al. Alexander SC et al. Boekeloo BO, Will you ask? Will they tell you? Are you ready to hear and respond? Donaldson AA et al. Pew Research Center,http:For example, take the states with the highest and lowest teen pregnancy rates.

Mississippi does not require sex education in schools, but when it is taught, abstinence-only education is the state.

Sex education, when done right, can transform people’s lives and society at large. Quality sex education taught by trained educators covers a wide range of topics, including relationships, decision making, condom negotiation, gender identity, body image, birth control, and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

Abstinence from vaginal, anal, and oral intercourse is the only % effective way to prevent HIV, other STDs, and pregnancy. The correct and consistent use of male latex condoms can reduce the risk of STD transmission, including HIV infection.

(formally titled "Sex Education: Programs and Curricula") Also available in format. Order publication online.

Teen pregnancy and sex education

Each Sex Education and Other Programs that Work to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, HIV & Sexually Transmitted Infections. Washington, DC: Advocates for Youth, RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COMPREHENSIVE SEX EDUCATION AND TEEN PREGNANCY IN MN Amy S.

Hedman, PhD, CHES Dawn Larsen, PhD, CHES Steve Bohnenblust, PhD Abstract: This research study assessed the scope of comprehensive sexuality education (CSE). (formally titled "Sex Education: Programs and Curricula") Also available in format. Order publication online. Each Sex Education and Other Programs that Work to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, HIV & Sexually Transmitted Infections.

Washington, DC: Advocates for Youth,

Teen Pregnancy Prevention